Fitted Cloth Diapers
Fitted Cloth Diapers - Snug and Easy Diapers
Fitted cloth diapers are the next step up in the evolution of the cloth diaper, after the simple flat diapers or prefold diapers that were the norm many years ago. Fitted diapers are exactly what they sound like. Instead of the flat and shapeless diapers our parents may have used, fitted diapers are fitted and snug, usually with elastic gatherings in the legs and waist. This makes them a perfect fit for any baby. They usually have closures of some sort as well, either hook and loop (Velcro) or snaps.
Fitted diapers are not waterproof so you do need a diaper cover to put over them. But they are very easy to put on a baby and very easy to put under a cover without uncomfortable bunching. Some fitted diapers have also been known to contain a pocket for stuffing (see pocket diapers).
Fitted diapers come in a variety of materials. Some of the most popular choices are cotton knits, flannel, hemp, terry cloth, sherpa, bamboo, and velour.
Advantages of Fitted Diapers:
- Fitted and snug for a good fit on baby and under diaper covers
- Can be washed at high temperatures, separate from covers
- Easy to clean
- Can be very trim for day use or bulkier for nighttime use...your choice
- Available in lots of cute colors and prints
Disadvantages of Fitted Diapers:
- A cover is required to make the diaper function
- Not as convenient as an AIO
- Can be hard to wash and may have smell problems if there are too many layers
Examples of Fitted Diapers:
- Happy Hempy
- Heiny Huggers
- Little Beetles
Want to learn about other diaper types? Visit our Cloth Diaper Terminology section.